Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Erik Sture Details



I've been busy on this doublet lately, topstitching (I'm still not finished with it, as you can see on the shoulder wings) and sewing woven cord around the edges. I had originally machine-topstitched around the edges of the wings, but I decided I didn't like that and ripped it out.



The collar and wings are my own modifications from the original garment of Erik Sture. The original collar was integrated into the back pattern piece, and there were no shoulder wings, at least as far as I know. But I think I shall make detachable sleeves, and the wings will cover up the lacing strip while enabling the doublet to be worn without sleeves. The collar I cut on the bias, and it decided to ripple along the sides, so I topstitched it down the middle.


When I was cutting out the front pieces, I forgot to leave enough for a facing on the left side, so I ended up having to tack a separate strip of fabric onto the inside front of the lining. It looks a little makeshift, but oh well. Better that than having my buttonholes stretch all out of shape.


And soon, I'll have the skirt put on!!

No comments: